MR BURRELL HAS NOW RETIRED FROM HIS PRIVATE GYNAECOLOGY PRACTICE.
Laparoscopy is a minimally invasive procedure that allows access to the inside of the abdomen and pelvis without having to make large incisions in the skin. It can be used to either diagnose a condition, or to allow treatment. The advantages of this technique over traditional open surgery are that there is a faster recovery time, less pain after the operation and minimal scarring.
Laparoscopy can be used to:-
- Diagnose and treat endometriosis
- Diagnose and treat pelvic inflammatory disease
- Remove scar tissue (adhesions)
- Treat an ectopic pregnancy
- Perform female sterilisation
- Remove an ovarian cyst
- Remove the womb (hysterectomy) or ovaries (oophorectomy)
- Treat fibroids
A laparoscopy may also be recommended when there are problems conceiving to see if there are any problems with the ovaries, fallopian tubes or womb.